COVID-19 INFECTION CONTROL POLICIES & PROCEDURES
COVID-19 Health Screening
- DO NOT come onto property if experiencing any of the following:
- New onset of cough
- Worsening chronic cough
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell
- Unexplained fatigue/malaise/muscle aches (myalgias)
- Nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
- Runny nose/nasal congestion without other known cause
- Have you or someone you have had close contact with travel internationally within the past 14 days?
- Have you or someone you have had close contact with, been in contact with anyone who has a probable or confirmed case of Covid-19?
If “yes” to above questions, you are not permitted to enter the facility.
If “no” to above questions, you may proceed.
- Non-contact temperature taking - all participants as well as their accompanying guardian will have temperatures taken prior to entering barns. If any individual is reading as high, all will be asked to leave, get Covid-19 tested and provide a negative result prior to returning to the facility.
- No one will be allowed on property for 14 days since the date that they, or someone that they live with, have travelled internationally.
- If any individual who has been on the property has a probable case or tests positive for Covid-19, they must inform Hope Haven immediately and the program will be shut down for 14 days or longer - anyone that was on site the same day will be contacted immediately, advised to self-quarantine and get tested.
- Upon arrival, everyone must wash/sanitize their hands.
- Only 1 individual per rider to attend lesson (guardian) unless permission obtained.
- Participants and their guardian as well as volunteers may access the arena barn, arena washroom and outdoor riding rings only, all other buildings and outdoor spaces are considered closed.
- 10 people maximum within any given indoor area while maintaining physical distancing.
- Abide by physical distancing guidelines at all times - 6 feet or 2 metres apart.
- Volunteers, staff, participants as well as guardians assisting with lesson must wear mask within cross-tie area. Once mounted, horse leader and guardian sidewalker must continue to wear mask, instructor may remove for better communication as long as significant distancing is maintained and rider may remove once mounted.
- Refrain from touching “Red” the cat if he happens to find you, he will try!
- All individuals to bring their own water bottle, drinking sources will not be provided by Hope Haven.
- The Program Manager and Instructors will together determine whether individual participants will fall into stage 1, 2 or 3 of resuming lessons. Factors for determination include; their level of independence when mounted, assistance required to mount and dismount, any risk associated with immune system or respiratory issues as well as their cognitive ability to follow instructions. These stages may be redefined as public health recommendations and government imposed restrictions change. There are no predetermined timelines or dates as to when stages will be initiated.
- Stage 1 - Individuals who are independent in saddle therefore no sidewalkers needed, cognitively able to follow basic instructions, immune and respiratory systems healthy (or aware of risks) and independent with mounting and dismounting (may have guardian assist in this process).
- Stage 2 - Individuals that may require a sidewalker but still not a lot of close contact holds, also requiring 1 person assistance to mount or dismount. Consistent parent/guardian will be trained to be the sidewalker role in order to maintain physical distancing to the best of our abilities for volunteers and staff
- Stage 3 - Individuals that require a lot of close contact by multiple people for mounting, dismounting as well as on horse. May not be able to accommodate prior to vaccine being available.
- Participants as well as their guardians will be given a verbal health check and temperature reading by an instructor upon entering the property.
- Designated parking area across from paddocks, please do not park on house side.
- If early for lesson arrival time, stay in vehicle until previous participant has left or instructor/volunteer indicates you may come out.
- Immediately upon leaving vehicle, go directly to arena barn and use hand washing/sanitizing station that is outside doors.
- Please stay outside until the instructor completes the verbal Covid-19 Health Screening and temperature reading and invites you into the barn.
- Participants must arrive with their own helmet.
- As an extra precaution, participants may come with their own set of clean reins.
- Guardians may watch lessons from a designated area in the arena, our viewing room will be closed for instructor use only.
- We ask that you promptly leave property when untacking procedure is complete in order to avoid cross over with the next participant.
- Volunteers to be trained in proper mask use, hand washing techniques and signs and symptoms of Covid-19 - training documented by Volunteer Coordinator.
- Once within the cross-tie area all volunteers must wear a mask. Horse leaders must wear a mask at all times both within the arena as well as outdoors during lesson time. Hope Haven will provide masks if volunteers do not have their own.
- Gloves are optional and will be provided for use however diligent hand washing and sanitizing has proven to be more effective at limiting transmission.
- Instructors will be trained in proper mask use, hand washing techniques and signs and symptoms of Covid-19.
- Mask use is mandatory within the cross-tie area but may be removed once the rider is mounted in order for better communication. Glove wearing is optional unless following emergency procedures.
- Instructors to carry on them at all times a hip pouch containing an unused mask and set of gloves each in their own Ziploc bag, hand sanitizer, and cell phone.
- Boarders and select staff only in Bank Barn.
- To be given a weekly schedule of available indoor arena riding times - must contact Executive Director when planning to come onto property for appropriate tracing.
- For access to the arena, use the large garage door which will remain open in order to avoid unnecessary traffic inside.
- All horse droppings in arena to be cleaned by staff after use.
- No communal equipment will be available (lunge lines, whips, crops, trot poles, jumps etc). Arena will be pre-set up with ground poles and cavalettis.
- Access to the washroom will be through the back door of arena barn only.
- Boarders to provide their own cleaning products (hand sanitizers, wipes, etc).
- Washrooms as well as frequently touched surfaces such as door handles and light switches to be cleaned 3x per day.
- Tack room has limited access to designated staff and will only contain clean equipment.
- All tack and grooming items will be cleaned and sanitized after every use, saddle pads laundered.
- Hand sanitizing stations located at strategic areas, masks and gloves available.
Last Modified 07/30/2020